My basis for my monthly goals is the AMAZING BOOK, The Happiness Project. This month all my goals are centered around money. Money is one of those things that can cause so much stress and so much unhappiness in our own lives and in the lives of others around us. So I wanted to take a whole month to focus on money and budgeting.
Indulge in a modest splurge
This is one goal that Gretchen Rubin (the book's author) had and I LOVE it. I am a lot like her and I tend to "under buy". It must be the accountant in me. Since we have moved into our new house two years ago we have not had an iron. Seriously. It is because I want a nice one, but I do not make it a priority to buy one and so it never happens. Since this is the case I have been doing a lot of "ironing" with my straight iron (for hair). Which honestly is fantastic for the edges of kids clothes and collars, but it can't do everything. The other times I have needed an iron I have to run to my parent's house. Which is SUPER inconvenient. This month, I am going to buy an iron! It is going to happen. I will get the best deal I can get on it, but by August 2015 I will have an iron in my home and it will feel so good.
Enjoy time and things I already own
I love this one and I really need to focus on the time portion of this goal, but both time AND things can be approved upon. When I say "enjoy time and things" I mean that I need to use the items that I already have. I used to be the type of person that would go to a workshop where I made a bunch of cards (birthday, thank you, etc.) and I would love them so much I wouldn't want to give them away. Now honestly what good does a birthday card do sitting around not being used for what it was made for. I am so much better at this and I work on using the things that I have and not hoarding them because I don't want to get rid of them. Stationary was another thing that I had a hard time with. Even when I was little I would save stationary because I loved it so much. However, it wasn't made to sit around a look pretty.
The other side of this is to enjoy time. I tend to be a multitasker in EVERYTHING I do. If I am watching TV I am usually doing something else. This month if I am watching TV then that is all I want to do. If I am washing the dishes then I want to wash the dishes without being on the phone too. I am thinking my stress level will go down a ton by doing this.
Give up a spending category
This month I am going to not spend any money on new craft supplies. There...I said it out loud and I wrote it down for all of cyber space to see. I don't know what I am going to do! EEK! I go to the craft store at least every other week if not weekly. So this is going to be a tough one for me, but it will help me be resourceful and use what I already have. Believe me...I have plenty.
This month I am going to make sure to be a little more generous. I have a service category on our Summer Bucket List. So I will make those items a bigger priority this month.
Here are some ideas that are on my list currently:
- Make military care packages
- Deliver treats to someone
- Write and send thank you notes
- Gather cans for the homeless shelter
- Donate clothes
- Donate sheets and towels for the animal shelter
- Pay for the person behind us at the drive thru
- Donate books
- Bring around popsicles to the neighborhood
- Make a freezer meal for someone
Challenge and Giveaway
Challenge this month-Give up or reduce a spending category for the month of July. Here are some ideas, but you can always come up with one yourself. It is fun to do one category because then you aren't cutting everything out at once. I always think, "I can do anything for a month".
- No new craft items (or whatever your weakness is)
- No fast food for a month
- No new clothes for the whole family this month
- Reduce your utility bills. Be creative and have fun with this.
- Gifts (Be creative with the gifts you give. Don't skip giving gifts, just be creative and frugal...yet thoughtful.)
- Give up your favorite store for one month.
- Reduce your grocery bill. This is another fun way to see how much you can save in one month.
- Online shopping (this can be a huge one for so many people...including me! Amazon always gets me.)
- Only buy what you NEED...no wants this month.
- Don't buy anything new for yourself (only for this month).
- Try coming up with fun date nights you can do at home (check out The Dating Divas for fun ideas)
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org when you are completed with the challenge. In the email include what you did to complete the challenge.
$30 Visa Gift Card
This will help you have an extra boost in your budget and hopefully help you have something to look forward to. I hope everyone will join in this month!
Check out the other months in my Quest For More Happiness: